Even though it’s unlikely, I have said that if Nigella Lawson were to do a book signing stop in DC this year, it would make 2010–cancer aside–the best year ever. Since Sara Moulton was dumped from Food Network and they’ve gone in new directions, the only shows that are my mainstays are Barefoot Contessa and whichever Nigella series they carry at the time. The other shows are background noise and none of the food personalities really seem to enjoy cooking as much as Sara, Ina or Nigella do.
The feminist cooking blog To Serve Woman has a guest post today extolling the virtues of Nigella and I absolutely agree:
Nigella stands out from these for the following reasons:
- She’s beautiful.
- She’s not as skinny as a twig.
- She takes an almost orgasmic pleasure in food.
- She uses stock cubes.
- She advocates the use of frozen peas.
- She doesn’t seem to have anything to do with a supermarket chain.
- She makes cooking risotto look almost worthwhile (why anyone should want to stand around stirring a pot continuously for about half an hour to produce a generally tasteless yet savoury version of a rice pudding, has always been beyond me).
- She comes down to the kitchen at midnight and wolfs down huge slices of chocolate cake.
- She has a body that looks as though she comes down to the kitchen at midnight and wolfs down huge slices of chocolate cake (although not on a daily basis).
Those last two points are what won me over. Not that it ever speaks to excess, but there’s nothing wrong with a midnight snack! If you’re a Nigella lover, check out the full article and the rest of their blog.